Welcome to episode 25 of Virtual Pizza, I’m Phil Olson and we’ve got an extravaganza of pizza toppings this week! We have My Last 3 Slices, Loads of entertainment news and my recommendation of the week.
My last 3 slices
- Continuing with Netflix exclusive Daredevil – nearly at the end of season 1, fantastic show, violent at times but the characters and plot is gripping.
- Finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders, the BBC made drama about the infamous gang who ruled Birmingham in the early 1900s. can’t wait to watch season 3
- And I’ve been binge listening to this weeks recommendation, but more on that later
What last 3 slices of entertainment or media have you been consuming recently? Get in touch and let us all know.
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that martial arts superstar Jackie Chan is set to receive an Honorary Oscar at the Governors Awards on November 12th.
- Anew trailer has arrived online for director Paolo Sorrentino’s upcoming eight-part TV drama series The Young Pope which stars Jude Law as “the first American Pope” Lenny Belardo, a.k.a. Pius XIII
- Back in November of last year it was revealed that Kevin Bacon had signed on for a return to the Tremors franchise for a TV adaptation of the cult 1990 horror-comedy, with Bacon also executive producing alongside Jason Blum of Blumhouse Productions. Since then we’ve had no further updates on the project, but the actor has now confirmed that the series is moving forward at Amazon Studios.
- The SUN tabloid is reporting that these are the frontrunners in being cast as the replacement for Daniel Craig as 007:
Idris Elba (Luther)
Michael Fassbender (The Light Between Oceans),
Tom Hiddleston (The Night Manager),
Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy),
Luke Evans (Fast & Furious 6) and
Aidan Turner (Poldark)
While producer Barbara Broccoli is also keen on Jamie Bell (Fantastic Four) and James Norton (War & Peace).
- Couple of new movie trailers that look interesting. The first is for Netflix produced scoff Arq. railers Ahead of its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival next weekend, a poster and trailer have arrived online for the upcoming sci-fi thriller. The film marks the directorial feature length debut for Orphan Black writer Tony Elliott and stars Robbie Amell (The Flash) and Rachael Taylor (Jessica Jones)
Arq is set for release on September 16th on Netflix.
The second trailer of note is for the Russian superhero movie Guardians
- And finally it t looks like Syfy’s upcoming Superman prequel pilot has found its female lead, with Deadline reporting that British actress Georgina Campbell (After Hours) is set to play Lyta Zod in Krypton.
The potential series from David S. Goyer (Man of Steel) is set on Superman’s home planet and follows his grandfather Seg-El, as he fights to redeem his family’s honour after the Hosue of El is ostracized and shamed.”
Campbell’s Lyta Zod is described as a cadet in Krypton’s military, who has been having a clandestine, forbidden romance with Seg-El.
Recommendation of the Week
King Falls AM
is a fictional narrative podcast that centers on a lonely little mountain town’s late-night AM talk radio show and its paranormal, peculiar and weird happenings & inhabitants.
Each episode of King Falls AM
sees big city radio host Sammy Stevens, joined by Ben Arnold his producer, broadcast in the early hours to the inhabitants of King Falls. The town appears on the surface to be a normal, picture post card town, but below the still waters there’s a whole host of mysterious and weird happenings. The show is very tongue in cheek, and though follows a similar format to the hugely successful Welcome to NightVale, is grounded more in reality, but only slightly.
The 2 lead characters build up a genuine chemistry and the strong supporting characters add to the overall feel of a living community, even if they are slightly odd. Sammy is the straight guy in all of this, trying to make sense as an outsider on the events that take place, whilst to everyone else is business as normal.
I’ve been very impressed by this show – funny, addictive and at times surprisingly moving, my other subscribed to podcasts have had to take a back seat whilst I catch up with the 30 or so episodes so far.
King Falls AM
can be found on iTunes and other pod catchers. If you give it a listen, please let me know what you think.